SV Santa Maria is a 48 foot sloop built in Germany, and the emblem of the company. Victory Adventure Expeditions founder Wolf Kloss sailed endlessly with SV Santa Maria from the Mediterranean to the Caribbean, Cape Horn, and in an impressive pioneering feat, to Antarctica.
SV Santa Maria is today, after navigating the Atlantic, Pacific, and Antarctic, sailing our popular Cape Horn and Tierra Del Fuego´s Darwin Range Expeditions.
Designed by German yacht builder Reinke, and designed and equipped for high latitude sailing, SV Santa Maria has completed multiple trips to Antarctica & Cape Horn, among many destinations. She has been prepared specially for the rough local conditions. The steel construction (5mm), collision bulkhead, and two additional bulkheads forward and aft of the engine room, heavy rigging, enclosed wheelhouse, roller furling Genoa and staysail, and an inventory of specially reinforced sails make SV Santa Maria well suited for this area.
As important as the equipment may be to guarantee success, in the end it's the spirit of the crew that make SV Santa Maria what she is; she is designed not for luxury, but for expeditions to the extreme.
SV Santa Maria sails under Chilean flag since 2001, which allows her to be the only sailing vessel with access to tracks like the Murray Narrows, Wulaia Cove, and others.
SV Santa Maria: Technical Information
- Builder: Fa. Bretsch, Böblingen BRD
- Designer: Kurt Reinke
- Type Hydra
- Built: 1983
- LOA: 14.74 m
- LWL: 12.76 m
- Beam: 3.90 m
- Draft: 1.60 m
- Displacement: 18.00 tons
Hull and Deck
- Steel hull & deck, superstructure plywood with fiberglass laminate.
- Steel decks with non-skid safety coating.
- Collision bulkhead behind sail locker, two additional water tight bulkheads, with water tight doors for access.
- Fully enclosed wheelhouse amidships, open cockpit aft.
- Two independent steering stations.
- Panoramic view from main salon.
- Lewmar chrome winches.
- 2 x 46 ST aft cockpit for Genoa sheets.
- 2 x main mast.
- 2 x aft cockpit for reefing.
- 1000w 12v Electric windlass with remote control at bow.
- 30 kg Danforth Anchor.
- 25 kg CQR Anchor.
- 100 meters chain / 10 mm.
- 50 meter tow / anchor line.
- 400 meter shore lines.
- Santa Maria has a fully insulated walk-in engine room.
- Twin Mercedes Benz OM-615 2 x 55 PS (37kw) Diesel Engines.
- Two x 3 blade propellers.
- Fuel capacity: 750 liters.
- Approximate range, engines only, 1,000 miles.
- 12 V Batteries / Service 320 AH / Starter 80 AH
- 220 V 200 Watt Inverter
- Fresh water tanks 2 x 700 Liter
- Raetheon 24 Mile Radar.
- Furuno GPS-30.
- Autohelm Echo Sounder & Log.
- Barograph MeteoLiner.
- SESTREL Magnetic Compass.
- Iridium Satellite Phone
- Sky Eye Real Time Weather
- Icom SSB Radio
- VHF – DSC Radio and 2 Handheld VHF.
- Icom SSB Radio.
- IRIDIUM Satellite Phone.
- SKY-EYE Real Time Weather – Satellite Weatherfax.
- Cutter Rig – 130 sq. m Sail Area.
- Full Batten Mainsail.
- Profurl Roller Furling Genoa and Staysail.
- Mainsail 48 sq.m with 3 reefs.
- Furling Genoa 60 sq.m.
- Furling Staysail 28 sq.m.
- Storm Jib.
- 1 x BfA 8 man life raft in cradles with emergency release system.
- 2 x life rings with MOB recovery system & Danbuoy.
- 8 + life jackets fitted with lights & manual/automatic gas inflation.
- Removable safety lines.
- Jotron EPIRB.
- Full Ocean flare pack.
- Dry powder extinguishers throughout the ship, 2 fire blankets.
- Loud Hailer.
- 2 auto bilge pumps.
- Centralized manifold for bilge de-watering, manual and motor-driven pump.
- Security ladder to deck & sea.
- Zodiac 310 RIB dinghy with Yamaha 8 hp outboard motor.
- Refleks – Diesel Heating Stove in Salon.
- GRABNER – Inflatable Canoe for individual use.
- Windpilot Pazifik Plus II – Self steering Wind Vane.