ABOUT THE SHIP
M/V “Plancius” was built in 1976 as an oceanographic research vessel for the Royal Dutch Navy and was named “Hr. Ms. Tydeman”. The vessel was completely rebuilt as a 116-passenger vessel in 2009 and complies with the latest SOLAS-regulations (Safety Of Life At Sea). M/V “Plancius” is classed by Lloyd’s Register and flies the Dutch flag.
M/V “Plancius” accommodates 116 passengers in 53 passenger cabins with private toilet and shower in 4 quadruple porthole cabins, 2 triple porthole cabins, 9 twin porthole cabins, 26 twin cabins with window and 2 twin deluxe cabins, all (ca. 12,5 square meters) and 10 twin superior cabins (ca. 21 square meters). All cabins offer lower berths (one queen-size bed in the superior cabins and two single beds in the twin cabins), except for the 4 quadruple cabins (for 4 persons in 2x upper and lower beds), and 2 triple cabins (1 bunk bed plus 1 lower bed).
• Comfortable and nicely decorated, but not luxurious. It’s made for explorers
• Spacious yet small ship character, comfort & style and modern technology
• Base camp for active, adventure and wildlife minded modern explorers
• Small ship operation: 116 passengers in 53 passenger cabins with private facilities (toilet, sink shower)
• 4 quadruple porthole cabins, 2 triple porthole cabins, 9 twin porthole cabins, 26 twin cabins with window and 2 twin deluxe cabins, – all (ca. 15 m2), and 10 superior cabins ca. 21 m2)
• All cabins offer lower berths (either two single beds or one queen-size bed), except for the 4 quadruple cabins (2 bunk beds), and 2 triple cabins (1 bunk bed plus 1 lower bed)
• Restaurant/lecture room (deck 3) and a spacious observation lounge (with bar, deck 5) with large windows offer full panorama view
• Large open deck spaces (with full walkaround possibilities on deck 4), giving excellent opportunities to enjoy the scenery and wildlife
• Equipped with 10 Mark V inflatable zodiacs, including 40 HP 4-stroke outboard engines
• 2 gangways on starboard side, that guarantees a swift zodiac operation
• The ship is manned by 17 nautical crew, 19 hotel staff (6 chefs, 1 hotel manager, 1 steward-barman and 11 stewards / cabin cleaners), 7 expedition staff in Antarctica (1 expedition leader and 6 guides/lecturers), for the Arctic we will have 8 expedition staff (1 expedition leader and 7 guides/ lecturers) and 1 doctor.
||1976 (rebuilt in 2009)
||1D (Plancius has a Lloyds class notation 100A1 Passenger ship, Ice Class 1D at a draught of 5 meters)
||220 Volts/European Pin