SV SMA-Expeditions is a 66 foot aluminum ketch built in Gdansk, Poland. She was built in 1998 and refitted in 2004 to endure high latitude sailing conditions.
In 2006, SMA-Expeditions reached these southern latitudes and has since, endured twelve Antarctic expeditions as of March, 2009. She has been designed and equipped for long distance cruising in comfort.
SMA-Expeditions possesses CE-Certification Category A (Ocean). She is built and surveyed under the Classification of Germanischer Lloyd.
SMA-Expeditions is currently sailing under full service. She has the German CERTIFICATE OF SECURITY, issued by the German Seamanship Association.
SV SMA-Expeditions can accommodate up to a total of 12 people. She sails under German flag, registered in Berlin.
SV SMA-Expeditions Technical Information
- Builder: Euro Aluship Ltd. Gdansk.
- Designer: Horst Glacer & Kurt Reinke.
- Type: Hydra Duo 66.
- Built: 1998.
- LOA: 20.20 m.
- LWL: 17.10 m.
- Beam: 5.50 m.
- Draft: 2.30 m.
- Displacement: 32.00 tons.
Hull and Deck
- Aluminum hull, deck & superstructure.
- Teak laid decks.
- Double-glazed port lights throughout.
- Lewmar chrome winches.
- 2 x 64 EST electric in cockpit for Genoa sheets.
- 2 x 54 ST in cockpit, manual, for staysail sheets.
- 3 x 40 ST, on main mast, manual, for reefing etc.
- 2 x 40 ST mizzen masts.
- 2000w 24v Electric windlass with remote control at bow & helm.
- 70 kg Rocna Anchor.
- 60 kg Bügel Anchor.
- 150 meters chain / 14 mm.
- 100 meter tow / anchor line.
- 400 meter shore lines.
- Twin Deutz Vetus DT43 106hp (2x 78kw).
- Two x 3 blade propellers.
- Fuel capacity: 5,100 liters (1,125 imperial gallons).
- Approximate range, engines only @ 2,500 miles.
- SMA has a very well laid out full walk-in engine room with generous standing height, housing most of the ships mechanical & electrical systems, laid out for ease of access to all equipment.
- Generator – 9.5 Kva Fisher Panda, in sound proof box at aft end of engine room.
- Diving Compressor, Bauer Junior, in lazarette. Available when required.
- Water maker – Technicomar (max 140 liters / hour), in engine room.
- Central heating Reflex Diesel Stove with hot water circulation to all cabins, heads & saloon.
- Electrics: 12v / 24v / 220v / 380v.
- Services 460AH, Navigation 460AH, Starting 230AH and separate 80AH to generator to allow main engine starting in case of main battery bank discharge.
- Fresh Water: 2500 liters (550 imperial gallons).
- Grey Holding: 1,600 liters (352 imperial gallons).
- Black Holding: 450 liters ((99 imperial gallons) (with deck suck out facility).
- Hot water: 2 x Vetus hot water tanks, 150 liters total (33 imperial gallons) in engine room (immersion or engine).
- Simrad / Anritsu open 48 mile radar, with scanner on mizzenmast.
- Simrad / Robertson AP45 autopilot.
- Simrad CE32 Colour chart plotter & depth plotter (mono at helm).
- Simrad dif. GPS.
- Full suite of Simrad navigation units.
- Plath 6” hemispherical compass.
- Iridium Satellite Phone
- Sky Eye Real Time Weather
- Icom SSB Radio
- Simrad RS8400 VHF repeated at helm.
- Simrad RS8400 DSC radio.
- Icom M700 SSB radio.
- 2 x Icom hand held VHFs.
- Fastnet Radio weather fax and nav. data decoder & printer.
- Nera Inmarsat World phone marine with voice, data & fax.
- Bermudan Ketch Rig – Sail Area 220sqm (2368 sq ft).
- Full batten system on mainsail with lazy-jacks.
- Profurl furling units on headstay and cutter stay.
- In-mast furling for mizzen.
- Stainless Steel wire standing rigging.
- Lewmar fittings.
- Mainsail 60 sq.m with 3 reefs.
- Furling Genoa 93 sq.m.
- Furling Staysail 42 sq.m.
- Mizzen 27 sq.m.
- Cruising Chute.
- Storm Jib.
- 4 Manual Pumps
- 2 x Plastimo SOLAS 8 man life rafts in cradles with emergency release System.
- 2 x life rings with MOB recovery system & Danbuoy.
- 12 + life jackets fitted with lights & manual gas inflation.
- Removable safety lines.
- Jotron EPIRB.
- Jotron Sart 40S.
- Raymarine 430 loudhailer, internal hailer & ships horn.
- Full Ocean flares pack.
- Auto CO2 fire system to engine room.
- Dry powder extinguishers throughout the ship, 2 fire blankets.
- Salt and fresh water pumped fire-fighting outlets in cockpit.
- 6 auto bilge pumps.
- 1 manual & 1 electric bilge pump (movable).
- Stern platform with security ladder to deck & sea.
- Inflatable Bombard C4 Dinghy de 4,30 mts with Mercury 15 hp outboard motor.